Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Arm-twisted? Not really, I guess.

Okay, okay. I'll post again. I've thought about writing another post, but it's just been...shall we say, hectic around here...

Yes, ATR is correct in that "things get easier." Many things about Parker joining our family and the transition of it all are getting easier. I'd say primary on that list for me is that all of us are getting more sleep. Parker is doing really well in the crate at night, and for that, I'm VERY grateful. He is sleeping a good 5 to 6 hours most nights (let's hope I'm not jinxing that by putting "it out there"). Ripken is also coming around to Parker...sort of. Ripken is definitely tolerating Parker more and the past two days have given rise to some play-ish behavior on Ripken's part. They are rough-housing a bit with Ripken asserting slightly more dominance. Ripken is barking, play-growling, and pinning Parker occasionally, and Parker often takes off running and scampers under a chair for cover (hilarious to see this in person). Of course, there are still times when Ripken usurps his toys to Parker in a heartbeat. So, a few steps forward and one or two back. So is the way of progress, I guess.

The most challenging piece for me this past week (and I'd likely guess ATR would echo my sentiment) is Parker's struggles to take a walk. This is kinda crazy to me--I mean what dog doesn't want to go on a walk?!?! Ripken would NEVER turn down the opportunity to take a walk. Parker on the other hand...it's all good until we get down our front steps to the sidewalk in front of our house. Then Parker sits, sometimes lies down, and refuses to move. It used to be that taking him across the street away from the friendly scent of home would be enough to get him going. Oh no, not anymore. He might walk five paces and then dig his paws into the ground and not budge. Then we try picking him up and taking him down the block 4 or 5 houses away. Sometimes this works and sometimes, not so much. We are even trying treats to get him to budge! And that works like 5% of the time. It seems easier (though not a ton) if all 4 of us are walking together. And it seems MUCH harder if just one of us is "walking" both Ripken and Parker and there is a time-constraint factored in such as needing to get to a meeting or another appointment. I'm really trying to channel Caesar: "calm and assertive." But often I'm just channeling me: "flustered, impatient, and losing it."

Another minor update: Vet visit this morning revealed Parker has gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Gaining five pounds ROCKS, at least for a puppy... so happy things are going well!!!

    --Auntie Laura

    ReplyDelete